Inhaling Meals
Like all of my best ideas, I got this one while taking a shower last night. I thought I'd do a few blogs comparing my role as teacher to my role as mother. Because I'm a dork, I thought I'd title the posts Teaching:Motherhood...you know, as in "Teaching is to Motherhood"...like an analogy. Sometimes, analogies compare two related things, and at other times, they compare two unrelated things. I think that while there are many similarities between teaching and mothering, there are also some differences.
So, my first one is about inhaling meals. As a teacher, you get 30 minutes to eat. It's not REALLY 30 minutes, though. You walk the kids to the cafeteria...5 minutes. Find an open restroom and use it...5 minutes. Check mailbox and drop things off in the classroom...5 minutes. This leaves you about 15 minutes to heat your food, eat, and clean up. Oh, and talk to your teammates about important odds and ends. It really is a talent to inhale your lunch in that amount of time.
As a mom, I've found this skill to come in handy. I like to call nap time and pretty much any time Ethan is entertaining himself without me, borrowed time. This is because you never know how long it's going to last. Sometimes, I have to inhale my breakfast/lunch/dinner in 5-10 minutes, because you never know how long you'll have before baby needs you.
There you have it. The first analogy between teaching and motherhood.
I appreciate this idea...clever and so true! :)
ReplyDeleteOh, the inhaled meals-- who knew that skill would come in handy?? I hope you are doing well! let's chat some time soon!
ReplyDelete