Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Teaching:Motherhood

Schedule vs. Routine

As a teacher, I thrive on schedules. I live and breathe schedules. Without my schedule, I would be lost...as would my students. I know, roughly, how my day will play out: SSR.Prep Time.Math.Language Arts.Reading.Lunch.Recess.Social Studies/Science.Read Aloud.Dismissal. Granted, there may be a few unexpected events sprinkled in throughout the day, but generally, I know what I'm in for. 

Then I became a mom.

I learned the difference between a schedule and a routine.

A schedule is predictable. It is based on the clock. A routine is not predictable. It is a set of events that happens in the same order, but not necessarily at the same times. {Our routine is eat-play-sleep.}

I'm in charge of the schedule at school. I choose what to do during each block. I decide when each block begins and ends. As much as I pretend I am, I'm NOT in charge of the routine. I go by Ethan's needs. 

A schedule allows you to know what is going to happen and when. A routine allows you to know what is going to happen. That's all.

A schedule requires you to stick to deadlines. A routine requires you to be flexible. This is something at which I am constantly trying to get better. 

I'm not going to lie. I miss my schedule. However, learning to go with the flow and live by a routine is a new experience...one which I'm sure I will draw upon as a teacher. It's teaching me flexibility, spontaneity, and to stop and listen to others' needs.  

No comments:

Post a Comment