Friday, January 15, 2010
The Spinach Experiment
Last night, Kevin made spinach dip so that I could take it to school for our "Payday Treats". Each payday, one grade-level brings food, like a potluck, and everyone gets to munch all day. Kevin HATES defrosting the spinach my way, using hot water, the sink, a strainer, and paper towels. According to Kevin, these are way too many materials. (I must say that Kevin uses considerably more paper towels than necessary.) He decided to test out a new defrosting method. Here is his experiment, a la fifth grade science project.
Question: Is there a cleaner way to defrost spinach?
Hypothesis: I can defrost spinach using a Ziploc bag.
Procedure: 1) Remove frozen spinach from package. 2) Place frozen spinach into Ziploc bag, and lay in sink. 3) Run hot water over Ziploc bag. 4) Squeeze water from bag. 5) Remove spinach.
Results: It took 20 minutes to defrost one box of spinach. The end result was two little balls of spinach - "spinach turds" as Kevin called them. The dip tasted exactly the same. Exactly zero paper towels were lost in this battle.
Conclusion: While it took a much longer time to defrost the spinach, the whole process ended up being a lot less messy!
Labels:
experiment,
food
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
lol, you are such a nerd. :D
ReplyDeleteWhen I defrost spinach I take off the paper around the box, but I keep the spinach in the cardboard box thingy. Then I put that whole thing in a bowl and stick it in the microwave on high for about 3 min. Then I just squeeze the box to get all the water out, or I'll use a strainer. It can be messy but it works for me.
Yeah, but sometimes the spinach on the outside starts to cook a little, and I don't like that! Like 3 other people suggested the microwave. I'll give it to you that it works, but not for me. I guess there will never be a perfect way to defrost spinach!
ReplyDelete