Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Family and Food

This weekend, Kevin and I went to Cincinnati for Aunt Karen and Uncle Mike's belated Chanukah celebration. On Saturday, we enjoyed wonderful food and loved seeing everyone again. We participated in a gift exchange, where I pulled the #1 pick. Not only did we get to pick first, but after everyone had chosen and opened their gifts, we got to "steal" someone's gift, and exchange it for ours. This was great, because we ended up with a jumbo box of Ghirardelli brownie mix, and one of those brownie pans that has a built in cutter, so all of the brownies come out as perfect rectangles. It worked GREAT! I am including some pictures of the brownie baking, and one of our nephew Eli on his first date. (I would have had more from the gathering, but my camera died.) Today, we spent the morning driving around Cincinnati for special grocery items which I am not able to find here in Indy. Kevin, his mom, and I went to Kroger and Biggs, and found Whipped Peter Pan Peanut Butter (less calories per serving), La Tortilla Factory tortillas (lots of fiber and less fat), and some Weight Watchers Carrot Cake zingers (MMMMM...). Then, my father-in-law, Barry, and I ventured out to Jungle Jim's International Market to find my Tofu Shiratake noodles (the ones that Hungry Girl, Lisa Lillien is all about). I have included a link to Jungle Jim's, because you have to see it to believe it. It is the amusement park of grocery stores. It has EVERYTHING you can possibly think of. I could probably spend an entire day there, which is a possibility, since they have a restaurant in the store, just for those occasions. In addition to the Tofu Shiratake noodles, I found some Cranberry Orange Wildflower Honey, Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Spread, and Beech mushrooms. Delicious!

3 comments:

  1. I so want one of those brownie pans! Do they really work?? I also want the giant cupcake maker. Oh infomercials, how you work so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the brownie pan ACTUALLY works! I was amazed, too, but it's true! I also have a special recipe, courtesy of my mother-in-law to make the brownies less bad for you.

    1 can black beans (drained/rinsed) + 1 cup water in a blender. Add 1 box low-fat brownie mix and blend, then stir in 1/4 cup chocolate chips. Pour into pan and bake at 350 according to box directions. They taste just as good as regular brownies, plus they don't have the oil or egg.

    ReplyDelete