Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Matzah Ball Soup {Jewish Penicillin}

One of my favorite things to eat around this time of year, is my mom's homemade Matzah Ball Soup. It warms me up, body and soul, and makes me feel oh, so good. Just the smell emanating through the house is enough to comfort me.

Each year, Kevin and I attempt to make it just like my mother. I've mastered the matzah balls, which if you ask me, are just as easy to make from scratch as they are to make from the box, but they taste a whole lot yummier.

The soup, well that's a different story. The last two times we've made it, it's tasted like, um, hot water. You can kind of sense that there is a vague chicken flavor, but not really. I'm quite opposed to using canned or boxed broth, but I decided if I struck out again, I'd resort to using the box of low-sodium chicken broth in my pantry. I searched on-line for some tips I could pick up, that might help. 

Some things I did this time around:
  • I used a whole roasting chicken...not just chicken pieces.
  • I added three tablespoons of chicken bouillon powder.
  • I added a tablespoon each of garlic and onion powder.
  • I added only enough water to cover the chicken.
It.Was.Wonderful.

See????



1 comment:

  1. matzah ball recipe, please!!!!!!!!! Carol's step mom put seltzer water in her ball mix before balling and it made the balls all poofy. We had a lot of poofy ball conversations at the seder. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive