That is the question. Little Ethan is quite the mover and shaker. Each morning, he likes to surprise us with where he has ended up in his bed. He scoots himself all over the place, while he's swaddled, mind you! The problem is that he bumps his head on the wood slats of the crib, and this morning, got his legs wedged in between them.
Many of my friends on Facebook suggested putting up bumpers, and say that once he is able to move like that, he should be fine. I'm not so sure. I don't know how long it takes him to get into those positions, and therefore don't know how long it would take him to get out of a dangerous situation.
We do have adorable bumpers that were custom made to go with his bedding. However, I would feel so guilty if something happened because I put them up for the sake of me not having to wake up and feed the baby (since he wakes up and that's the only way he'll go back to sleep). The idea that something could go wrong is always in the back of my mind.
For right now, I think we're going to try to angle him differently in the bed. Hopefully, this will allow him to scoot without hitting any "walls". I'm still a little hesitant to take the bumper route. I'm not totally ruling it out...but I definitely need to give it some more thought.
Go with your gut, that's usually right. :-) Nate slept in the bassinet till 5 months old, so he was quite a bit older than Ethan when we put the bumper in.
ReplyDelete