In addition to this blog being a way to keep family and friends posted on our lives, it is also an outlet for me. Therefore, I'm deciding to write about something personal because I think it is important, not only for me, but for others who may be going through a similar situation.
This week was a difficult one for our little family. I had a very rough four days with Kevin gone; nights of sleeplessness and restlessness, and days filled with anxiety, stress, loss of appetite, thoughts of hopelessness and helplessness, and although this is difficult to admit, feeling like I had no interest in caring for little Ethan. I finally had to admit that there was a problem, and I had to do something about it.
No one likes to talk about this stuff, but I've decided to make it public because those four days I suffered were the longest, most miserable days I can remember. I felt like I was losing my mind. I felt alone. I felt like I was a bad mom. No amount of encouragement from loved ones lifted my spirits.
What I went through was the ugliness of Postpartum Depression and Anxiety. Yes, it's a real thing...and it's really scary. I refused to let this go on any longer untreated, so I met with my doctor and we developed a game plan. I'm taking medicine to help with the anxiety, and have an appointment to meet with a therapist to regain some coping skills that I seem to have lost.
I have a lot of work to do, but knowing that I have some control in this situation has given me much more peace of mind. Talking about this openly makes me feel empowered. I know how alone I felt this last week, and maybe me opening up about this will encourage other women in a similar situation to take control and reach out for help.
I am fortunate to have a wonderful support system, including my husband, parents, brother, in-laws, and close family friends, who all stepped in to help me during this tough time. I will continue to blog about my experience with Post-Partum Depression and Anxiety, because it is something I do not want to brush under the rug. Overcoming this will ultimately make my family and me much stronger.
Anat, You are strong to open up about this. It isn't easy to admit our challenges. I am so glad you are feeling in control and empowered. I look forward to continuing to read.
ReplyDeleteAnxiety and depression are so very scary. I started having anxiety problems after college. I finally went to my doctor and got some medication for when I had a rough patch.
ReplyDeleteEvery situation is different, but I can totally relate to what you are going through having some of these issues, and a husband that left for 5 weeks on business when my baby was just 3 months old. Please please please send me a text or give me a call if you need somebody to talk to. You are amazing and will get through this.
Hugs.
1) I send you SO MUCH LOVE.
ReplyDelete2) I'm proud of you for sharing and I hope sharing brings you the support and outlet you need!
3) Let's plan a visit. I want to come cuddle the munchkin and have a cocktail with his mom.
I don't know you, but this is so incredibly brave. Someone, some day will google post-partum depression and anxiety and they'll come to your blog. In that instant, some woman will feel less alone. She may reach out to you or she may not, but either way, she'll know that she's not the only one and that there is hope.
ReplyDeleteJust in sharing this, you're stronger already because you're refusing to let it win. I hope nothing but healing and strength for you.