Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Meltdown in Maternity

Fall weather has made an appearance over the last week. It's nice not to have to deal with the steaming hot temperatures while in my third trimester. What is not nice, is that I have to buy fall maternity clothes. I thought I was pretty well-equipped with my wardrobe...not so much.

Yesterday, after much frustration in the morning trying to find something warm enough to wear, Kevin and I ventured to the local maternity store. Ours has the pricey on one side of the store, and the affordable stuff on the other side. I stuck to the affordable side. All the stuff I tried on was so big and baggy (I think they call it "flowy", but I'm not buying it), it made me feel like a tent...and I'm NOT that big! I made Kevin come in the dressing room, where I broke down crying and kept saying, "This is not how I pictured I would look!"

Poor Kevin. He was at a loss for words. My brain was saying, This is the dumbest reason to cry...stop crying. I think that made me cry even more. To calm me down, Kevin told me to go to the expensive side and look around, but I couldn't justify spending a ton of money on things I will only wear for two more months! I finally ended up with some clothing I felt was "acceptable". I hate buying stuff I don't absolutely love. I apologized to Kevin...profusely. Miraculously, he was willing to accompany me to another maternity store, where I was more successful, and didn't cry.

I love being pregnant. I am grateful that my pregnancy is going well, and that the baby and I are healthy. However, as someone who has been fortunate in the weight department, I find myself struggling with how to dress my changing body. I'm sure every woman feels this way, and I'm sure my feelings of guilt for worrying about something so trivial and materialistic are normal, too. I'm hoping I don't have another case of "Dressing Room Drama" again...at least not while I'm hormonal.

2 comments:

  1. You know if you have another baby you will wear it again :-) And even if you don't, maternity clothes sell pretty well on ebay or craigs list, if you buy expensive stuff I would think the resale would be pretty good. You could also try selling it to a consignment store.

    Changing bodies are hard, especially when you are used to being thin. Fear not! You will be so amazed how your body will spring back after the baby is born. Seriously, it was like 5 days and I felt I shrank almost back to my normal size (minus my last 10lbs of extra weight I gained that wasn't baby/blood/placenta.) Some really lucky women can wear pre-pregnancy stuff right away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you know a woman, pregnant or not, who has not cried in a dressing room at some point, then I insist we not be friends with her. :-) Hang in there! Only a few months to go!

    ReplyDelete