Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Thursday, March 4, 2010

Lunch Date

It's been a stressful week at school, since it's state testing time. The kids are paranoid and so am I, thanks to the state of Indiana and their ridiculous high stakes testing. That's why I decided it was high time that I stop, and remember why I decided to be a teacher. The reason is, first and foremost, I love kids. I love spending time with them, getting to know them, and making them feel like someone else cares about them. Instead of eating with my fabulous teammates, I chose to eat with some of my kids. It made my day when I saw how excited they were to have me sit at one of the tables. We had great conversations about sushi, tv shows, and birthdays. I was having so much fun, I decided not to just monitor recess, but to participate, too! We played some circle games, and "Down by the Banks". It completely lightened my attitude, and brought me back down to earth. My students may not remember half the stuff I teach them, but they will remember that I chose to spend that time with them, because they are the most important part of my job.

2 comments:

  1. How fabulous! Good for you!

    I hate testing. Our ridiculousness is next week in Michigan. Thanks for helping me to refocus on my kids - who are the ones that are important! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so fantastic! I used to eat with my kids on rainy days in England (caf. was outdoors, I took pity and let them in my room). It always lightened my mood.

    Go Anat, teacher extraordinaire!

    (Oh, and BOOO state testing.)

    ReplyDelete