Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, February 26, 2010

The (draining) Power of Positive Thinking

I am not a positive thinker by nature. I like to say that I am a realistic person (although Kevin claims that I am pessimistic). Lately, I have tried to be more positive/not always think of the worst case scenario. Trying not to focus on the negative is really exhausting! For example, on Wednesday as I got to school, I almost slipped on ice in the parking lot. I told myself not to go with my first thought which was, "Crap...this is going to be a horrible day!" Instead, I thought, "I'm lucky I didn't fall!" When I got settled, I noticed a large puddle by my desk. The water bottle I had put in my teacher bag had decided to open in the ice-slipping scuffle, and had leaked all through my bag. I quickly got all of my stuff out of there. My first thought? "Well, this day is shot!" However, I forced myself to think, "Whoa! Thank goodness only the unimportant papers at the bottom are soaked, and my gradebook and ungraded papers are safe!" True, my day wasn't completely ruined by those two little incidences, and in the long run, they didn't seem like that big of a deal since I forced myself not to hyper-focus on them. I do have to say, though, that thinking positively is really draining! As a borderline pessimist, I've had to train my brain. Perhaps it's like training a dog, or disciplining children...you just have to be consistent, and eventually it'll kick in!

No comments:

Post a Comment