Last night, Kevin and I started our baby registry. In order to avoid the same frustration we dealt with when we registered for our wedding, I suggested we begin by registering online. This way, I could look at reviews and do some reading about different products I was interested in putting on the list. Kevin got bored after a while, but I trucked along until 1am. I managed to whittle the list down by at least half, so I'm hopeful that our trip to the stores will be much less overwhelming.
I do have some questions for moms out there....
1) I love those sleep 'n play outfits. I hear my baby will live in them while at home. How many do I need in each size??
2) Onesies. One-derful. I read a post on a message board saying that the best advice someone got was to register for 20 onesies EACH in the following sizes: NB, 3M, 6M, 9M. Is this a reasonable number? Will my child be wearing these with EVERYTHING?
3) Do I just plop a contoured changing pad onto my dresser/changing table? It has straps to keep the baby on it, but how does the actual pad stay on top of the dresser?
4) What type of clothing will I need for the baby...you know, when he's not in a sleep 'n play?
5) I registered for 2 96-pack boxes of Newborn diapers and 1 192-pack box of Size 1 diapers. Good idea?
6) What are some other MUST HAVE items I should stick on the registry?
It kind of depends on how much laundry you plan on doing. I would say that 6 onesies in each size is fine. Yeah, he will spit up and you'll change him a bunch, but you'll want to wash the clothes fairly quickly so that they don't stain.
ReplyDeleteAlso-remember that people will get you things that aren't on your registry.
Sleep and plays are great, but a long sleeved onesie with a cute pair of pants is just as easy-in fact, I'd say easier for diaper changes.
As for other outfits-think about what special events you'll be going to, or when you want to get pictures taken, but you may want to wait until he is here so that the sizes and seasons line up appropriately. Also-look for hand-me-downs, because there is almost no wear and tear on baby clothes (well...except fot those darned spit up stains...)
The changing pad has a sticky surface on the bottom to hold it to the dresser, and mine had straps for the baby, and one that was like a wall anchor, if that makes sense.
You may want to reverse your order of the diapers-you can buy more newborn sized diapers if he is small, but in my opinion, they outgrow those so quickly, it is best to stock up on the size ones that you know you can use as he grows.
Other must haves- a bouncy seat or swing to put baby in while you make dinner, shower, etc...if your house is 2 levels, get one for each floor so you don't have to lug it back and forth.
I'm sure I'll think of more, but these are my opinions for now...happy registering!
1-2. People love buying baby clothes. I didn't register for any and got TONS at my shower. I wouldn't worry too much about this one. 20 onsies seems like a high number to me. I agree with the previous commenter, how many you buy depends on how often you want to do laundry. I used to change Nate 2-3 times a day but I just started putting bibs on him b/c they were easier/faster to change.
ReplyDeleteTrue the sleep and plays can be a pain for diaper changes (dealing with snaps) but there are also ones with zippers. . .I hated pulling stuff over Nate's head when he was a new born b/c I was so afraid of his soft spots, so that's why I felt it was worth dealing with the snaps. I also would just undo the leg parts and pull it to the side (leaving his arms in the sleeves) that way you don't have to strip them completely.
3. How high is the dresser? If it's the same height as a changing table then go with the pad, it's great. Ours is a Serta. It has tabs that go along the back side of the dresser and screw into it. So the holes are on the wall side, you will never see them when we take the pad off. If your dresser is low you might want to consider a changing table, trust me it's a pain bending down dealing with a wiggly baby changing a diaper. They also make pack and plays with changing table height changing stations on them now, I'd look for one that has that too.
5 - Diapers are so easy to buy I wouldn't worry. I always heard the rule of thumb is 10-12 diaper changes a day for a new born. I suppose I would always error on the side of bigger rather then NB. Nate wore NB size for over a month, but my friend's daughter wore them for a week. You never know. Have you considered cloth diapers? Granted I don't think I could have used them right out the gate as a first time mom, but trust me they are so awesome, super cute, and work just as good (if not better) then disposables. Plus it's a one time purchase and he will wear them birth to potty training (and if you have more kids you can use them again) FB message me if you are interested in how I got started.
6. I wrote this http://avalleyhouse.blogspot.com/2011/05/favorite-baby-things.html
I'd also add the Snap'N Go type stroller. With a fall baby you won't want to take him out in the cold. With the Snap'N Go you can leave him in the car seat and get a Bundle Me or some kind of cover for the car seat and then he will be nice and snug when you travel.