Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Why Eloping Sounds Better Each Day
So, as my first post, I thought I'd vent about the joys of wedding planning. While I know that eloping is not for me (nor is it an option), I now understand why people make the choice. Between the endless decisions, mile-long "to do" list, and countless opinions, it is difficult to hang onto even a shred of sanity. Last weekend I decided to immerse myself in wedding planning and this is what happened.
First, we decided to register for gifts. Crate and Barrel was our first stop, where they handed us a scanner thingy and a list (more like a book) of commonly registered for items, and away we went. We did a great job of compromising on everyday dishes (he won) and the need for five different sized casserole dishes (I won). We ended up with a healthy 54 items on our registry, and after an hour, felt satisfied.
Since we were on such a roll, we decided to head on to Bed, Bath, and Beyond (ie Hell). This is where things began to go awry. The choosing of china, crystal glasses, and formal silverware went off without a hitch. They took us on a "tour" of the store, and I use the term tour loosely here, since we'd been there about a zillion times. Then, they let us loose in the store. We made it through every section without a fight, until the towel section. This is where Kevin decided that we needed bath sheets, and not bath towels, and I decided that I wanted to get the heck out of dodge. At this point, any onlooker could tell that we were registering for two reasons: 1) the stupid, constantly malfunctioning scanner thingy, and 2) the hushed argument, which we were trying to hide, but not well. After we finished, the nice people in the bridal registry section revealed that most couples don't attempt to register in one visit, but come back to do it little by little. (Note: blood has now rushed from my face, and I want to strangle the girl who is helping us.) Three check-throughs and 17 pages of a registry later, we were out of there.
Later that evening, I decided to order our Save the Date magnets. Perhaps the powers that be were telling me something when after one hour of choosing a photo, layout, fonts, and colors the "easy to use" program quit on me. My response: "I haven't gotten to do ONE thing I wanted to do today!!!!" Believe it or not, it helped. I took a break, chose a new layout, and wonder of wonders, it worked!
About four days later, I decided to go to the bridal store with my mom to check out her dress, which had just arrived. Hello PINK! It was totally not the color that I thought it was going to be, but the problem is that I don't even remember what the color was supposed to be. I remember spending hours at the bridal store when she was picking out her dress and seeing various shades of pink, but I think I would have remembered this one. My mother looked at the woman who was helping us out (who had about 2 tons of makeup on) and told her, "She doesn't like the dress." (This never came out of my mouth. What I said was that the dress was not the color I thought it was going to be.) Makeup Mask just stared at me, and I began stuttering trying to make myself look less like a bridezilla. Thanks Mom.
Next on my list are two cake tastings, which Kevin and I are both looking forward to. I mean, how much arguing can you do over icing???
Labels:
wedding
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh man....I HATE the cake part. Having made several wedding cakes for brides, this can be much harder than what it should be. Tasting is one thing....deciding on flavors, layers, people...and hearing how much a cake can actually cost can send you into a complete whirlwind. Just wanted to give you the fair warning...so, good luck with the tastings. As my own 2 cents, fondant icing tastes like crap, even though it looks beautiful. It is kind of like trying to swallow gum that has a frosting-type flavor.
ReplyDeleteI can't believe you registered in one day! That IS AMAZING!!
Being a formal wedding planner... don't ever think anything is easy becacuse it won't be... and cake is no exception.. I agree with Jen don't get the fondant.. The cake place can take care of layers.. just tell them an estimated people count and estimate under the amount you think will show. If you haven't picked a definate cake place try Classic Cakes in Carmel. They are GREAT!
ReplyDelete