A week ago today, Ethan Eric came into our lives, making us a family. We are learning new things about one another each day, and through trial and error, finding what works best for the three of us. I know I'm a bit biased, but I think he's the most delicious baby ever born, and even at our groggy 3am feedings, I'm awed by his perfection.
So how did this little bundle of joy get here? This is his story.
Last Friday (October 21st), I stayed late at school to work on lesson plans for my maternity leave. Kevin joined me there at 6pm, and we spent an hour at my school's annual Fall Festival. Next, we decided to grab some dinner and pick up frozen yogurt to enjoy at home.
We ate our dessert on the couch, and began to watch television. I was having a very difficult time getting comfortable, as my stomach began to hurt. I thought I'd eaten too much, but looking back, I'm pretty sure I was having mild contractions. At 10:15pm, I was dozing off, when suddenly, I shot up and exclaimed, "I think my water just broke!" I rushed to the bathroom, Kevin tailing me, and sure enough, found that my water had, indeed, broken.
Once our shock had worn off a bit, Kevin called the hospital, spoke with the doctor, and we packed a few more odds and ends in our hospital bags. I think we both couldn't believe that IT was actually happening. We arrived at the hospital at 11:15pm, checked in, registered, got changed, and settled into our room. My parents visited briefly, and then the "fun" began.
I labored naturally until about 6am, at which point I was only 3cm dilated. My contractions were so intense (probably because my water had broken and there was no cushion), and coming one after the other with little rest time, we decided it was time for an epidural. By far, the worst part of the epidural was having to sit still through the contractions to get the medicine. Note: I'm not going to lie...at this point, we were both exhausted, and I just couldn't get comfortable in any position. While I wasn't screaming my head off like those crazy ladies in the movies who curse at their husbands for "doing this to them", it was pretty obvious to Kevin that I was miserable, and it was time to move to "Plan B".
I was a little apprehensive about the epidural, only because I did not want to be "paralyzed" from the waist down. My epidural was wonderful. I could still feel and move my legs, but the pain was gone. Once I got the epidural, things really progressed. After the epidural was in (about 30 minutes), I told the nurse that I felt a ton of pressure. She checked me, and I was 6cm. Kevin was allowed back in the room, and after 30 minutes, I told the nurse that the pressure had intensified. Lo and behold, I was 9cm. In the course of an hour, I went from 3cm to 9cm!
It was time to push, so the nurses called the doctor. I'll spare you all the details, but I will say that for me, this was the most difficult part of the birthing process. It took me 20 minutes to figure out how to push correctly. The doctor and nurses kept telling me he was almost here, but after a while, I thought they were just telling me that. Kevin explained to me that they were not "just saying that", and gave further details on what was happening. Thank goodness, because that motivated me to keep going. After 25 more minutes of pushing, there was Ethan! He was born at 8:04am.
It was about 10 hours from the time my water broke, to the time we met our adorable son...which, for a first baby, is a very short time to labor. The nurse even told me that if we planned on having more kids, we'd have to get to the hospital in a hurry, because that labor would probably be even shorter!
Our birth experience was very positive, and we felt like it was the most difficult thing we've ever done, and at the same time, the most rewarding. I know I could not have gotten through it without Kevin's constant support and care. Throughout my pregnancy, people told me that going through labor and delivery of your children with your husband only strengthens your relationship, and makes you appreciate one another even more. I can now say that this is 100% true.
You did it!!! Great job mama!
ReplyDelete