Student: Mrs. Pinsky, what's a scholar?
Me: It's someone who enjoys learning.
Student: Oh. Well, that's what I'm going to be when I grow up.
Me: That's a really good thing to be.
Student: Yeah, and I'm gonna be a famous one, too!
~~~~~~
Me: You are supposed to staple the paper on the left side, not the right, and you forgot to put your name on top.
Student: Oh. Well, I just got a little confused.
Me: OK, well, get un-confused and please fix it. Then turn it in.
3 minutes later...
Student: Here you go, Mrs. Pinsky, and thanks for correcting me.
~~~~~~
Yesterday, one of my fifth grade students printed out the story she typed. Upon reading it, I asked her if she had proofread the story. She, of course, said yes. I pointed out that the word "As" had one too many "s's". She was VERY embarrassed.
~~~~~~
Student: Mrs. Pinsky, do you know what the problem with "Blacktop Only Recess" is?
Me: No, what is it?
Student: Everyone is in everyone else's way. It's like, you're screwed!
~~~~~~
Today, several kids asked me questions about Chanukah. One of them was why there was a "C" in front of Chanukah. I explained that the "Ch" does not make the same sound as in English. It represents a Hebrew letter that makes a sound similar to the one you make when creating phlegm in your throat. It's not really Hannukah, but CHanukah. One of my students started saying, "CHelp me! CHelp me!" I explained to the student that not every "H" word made a "CH" sound, and that just because you pronounced it like that did not make it a Hebrew word.
No comments:
Post a Comment