When I was in school, I used to hate those summer reading lists that the English teachers would give us. You'd always have some sort of assignment to go along with it, like Reader-Response Journals or essays.
Have things really changed that much? Nope. I still have a summer reading list, but it is two-fold. I have a long list of children's novels that I need to read for the upcoming school year (17 titles, to be exact). I also have a list of books I'd like to read for pleasure. It's not that I don't like reading children's literature...I do. It's just sometimes, I don't really feel like reading about owls who work in "eggoriums" and "pelletoriums", or gasping when I read the word "hell" because I have to figure out how to explain to my kids the whole "we can say it because it is in the context of the book" thing, or because I'm constantly thinking about what kinds of literary elements I'll be able to teach. So what do I end up with? Tons of books to read.
Here are my summer reading lists. You'll notice that the school one is way longer.
School Book List
I've already read Sarah, Plain and Tall, Skylark, Poppy, Three Cups of Tea and The Capture.
Personal Book List
Anyone have any reviews on these???
I really enjoyed Time Travelers Wife. It was fun for me because it takes place in Chicago, so I could really picture where the book took place. I will say that the very end was a little disappointing. . .I'm not really sure how I would have ended it though, and I actually kind of liked the ending to the movie better (they changed the end of the book for the movie)
ReplyDeleteA Wrinkle in Time was one of my favorites when I was a kid!! Haven't read it in a long time though. I had a hard time getting into the Time Traveler's Wife at first but it was SUCH an interesting concept. Once I got used to the book and a bit farther into it I enjoyed it. Have not read that Jennifer Weiner book but I have read a different one of hers I really enjoyed. I love summer with no lesson plans, grading, school events. Nap time for my daughter means reading time for me! (well, after the cleaning usually) Happy reading!
ReplyDelete