Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Surgery Update

It's the day after my gallbladder surgery and I'm doing well. Yesterday, Kevin and I met my parents at the surgery center and got checked in. Everyone was so nice and made me feel a lot more comfortable. I went back to the consultation room where the nurse asked me a ton of questions, and then I changed into my lovely gown, robe, and socks. She came back in and put my IV thingy in (not fun), and got my family. The surgeon and anesthesiologist game in and gave as a run down of what was going to happen during and after surgery, and then it was time for me to go. I walked into the operating room, and took my place on the table. I was only conscious for about 3 minutes while in there, which was great! The next thing I remember, I was waking up in Recovery Room #1, the nurses were reminding me where I was, and was quickly moved to Recovery Room #2. My family came to be with me and I was in and out of sleep. When I woke up again, the nurse asked me how I felt, to which I responded, "Nauseous." They gave me stuff in my IV and I felt better. The next step was to move from the bed to a recliner, and when I was ready, they helped me. I think I was in the recliner for 15 minutes, at which time I felt I was ready to go home. So, I got dressed (with help) and we were off, with a quick stop at the pharmacy for pain killers. I slept a lot at home, ate dinner (my appetite had fully returned), read my book, and watched some TV. I only had a little discomfort, but still took my pain killers because I didn't want to risk it. This morning, I'm a little worse for the wear. My abdominal muscles feel like they've had a really tough workout (which apparently, they did in the operating room), and the pain medicine the surgeon injected into the incision sites has apparently worn off. I will definitely be taking medicine today! I am hopeful that my recovery will be speedy, and I will be off this medicine and onto Ibuprofen by Monday! By the way, Kevin has been an EXCELLENT caretaker!

2 comments:

  1. I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago. I hope you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my gallbladder removed a few years ago. It is never fun to have surgery. I hope you start feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete