Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Friday, August 3, 2012

Thoughts: Working Mommyhood {Part 1}

Thursday was my first official day at work. Even though I have going in to school consistently for the last month, yesterday was the first day that I was required to be there at a certain time, and stay there until a certain time.

I'll start by saying I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I think that's to be expected. I'm used to staying at school until I'm done at a good stopping point. Well, those days are over. I have to leave at a specific time so I can get home to the sitter. {So far, Kevin's had to relieve her, as I've been 15 minutes late each day.} I'm having a lot of trouble stopping when I'm in the middle of things. Then, all I do is think about those things all the way home. 

On the flip side, I've been having some guilt about not being with Ethan. Well, guilt isn't the right word. I'm sad, and jealous of the babysitter for getting to spend all day with him. I never feel that way while at work, but once I'm home and I realize I only have a few hours before bedtime (and those hours are filled with making dinner, eating dinner, bath, and bedtime routine), I get sad. Sometimes I find myself thinking, I hope he doesn't forget who I am. Silly, right? 

Once Ethan is in bed, it's time to get more work done. You know, all the extras that I wasn't even able to think about at school. Then I think, When am I supposed to shower? Run personal errands? Call my eye doctor because I accidentally forgot to go to my check-up and my contacts are forever-and-a-day old? Finish reading my Book Club book? And the list goes on. And on. And on.

My friend, Libby, told me that the first month going back to work is very overwhelming, and then you start finding tricks that help you manage Mommyhood and Teacherhood. I'm very much looking forward to that! For now, I'm doing what I can, and doing it to the best of my abilities. 

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! :) You will find your rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no experience with this and can offer no advice, but, I know you and I know you are the master or organization and schedules. You will figure it out!!

    ReplyDelete