Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, November 7, 2011

Single Mommy-hood...Week 1

This is the week I've been dreading since we brought Ethan home from the hospital...the week Kevin starts work again. As most of my blog readers know, Kevin is an IT Consultant, so he travels for work. This means that I am on parenting duty by myself from Monday morning through Thursday evening. Needless to say, I'm a little nervous. 

I have a great support system around me, with tons of friends and family who are willing to bring me meals, hang out with me, or watch Ethan. It's not the days that bother me...it's having no break from day through night, through day through night...you get the idea. 

Here are some things I'm going to attempt to figure out this week, as a single mom of a newborn:
  1. How you make an outing by yourself with a baby...and all his stuff. We have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.
  2. How to care for a dog alongside an infant. Hopefully, I can remember to feed him twice a day, give him his pills, and let him out to do his business!
  3. Host Book Club...with a baby. Really, this is a favor to me. I'm not comfortable taking a two-week old baby to the restaurant where we normally meet, so my Book Club is coming over to my place.
  4. Shower. I made sure to get one in on Sunday, but at some point, I'm going to have to do it! 
  5. Make Defrost my meals. We're still living off all the food we made and froze during my pregnancy, plus the food people brought over (and we froze) these last two weeks. I still have to remember to take them out of the freezer in the morning, or else I'm out of luck for dinner!
  6. Tidying up around the house...we'll see how far we get on this one.
Wish me luck, and if you have any advice for me on how to accomplish any of the tasks above, please share!

1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I feel for you girl. Jared was in Switzerland for 3 weeks, home for 1 week, then gone for 2 more weeks when Nate was 4-5 months old. It was right when I went back to work too. It was really really really really hard. Hopefully it won't be too bad now because newborns tend to sleep a lot for the first 8-12 weeks, it's when he stop sleeping so much is when it gets rough.

    1- Outings: I always pack stuff the night before for outings so I'm not scrambling when I'm running out the door. This is also when the Snap 'N Go stroller comes in handy for new borns. It has a big basket to throw all the junk in underneath and you can leave the baby sleeping in the car seat.

    4- Showering is such a hard one for me. As much as I hate it, I now shower at night. Nate has never been a good day time napper, so usually if I want to shower during the day while he's sleeping my shower/blow drying my hair/make up would take almost his whole nap leaving me no time to clean/cook/laundry, etc. Don't even get me started on finding time to shave my legs. One time I started doing it and only got 1 leg done before he started crying. I walked around the whole day with one hairy leg and one clean leg. HA. Nate also gets up way too early for me to shower before he wakes in the morning. . .so yeah. Good luck with this one. Hopefully Ethan will be nice for you.

    5 - I think you have this one already figured out! Make big meals that you can freeze. Cooking for one stinks.

    Miss you girl! Maybe Julie and I can plan a road trip weekend and come visit you.

    ReplyDelete