Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Baby Books - Secrets of the Baby Whisperer


Recently, a friend lent me a copy of Secrets of the Baby Whisperer. I am not the biggest fan of informational text, but I am trying to read different books that will help me during pregnancy and prepare me for the baby. Therefore, I think I will try to blog about one book a month.

I have only read two chapters, but I'm really enjoying this book. The author's premise is that babies thrive when there is a predictable routine (NOT a clock-watching schedule, mind you). Her method, called the E.A.S.Y. Method, involves four steps: Eat, Activity, Sleep, You. This seems like a pretty straightforward plan, and her logic for the order of these steps makes sense to me. 

For example, she explains that adults usually structure their day so they eat and then do an activity (work, run errands, exercise, etc.). They do not go to sleep right after eating, unless it's Thanksgiving, of course! Babies are human beings, too, therefore it stands to reason that they would thrive on the same routine as other human beings. In addition, she addresses babies' differing temperaments and differences in adults, like whether you are a "planner" or a "wing-it type". 

The rest of the book focuses on reading your baby's cues and details each of the steps in depth. I am interested to read about all of these things. One thing I'm a little nervous about is the "baby wearing thing". I want to get a sling or baby carrier, but I have heard that books such as this one and Baby Wise, which I also plan to read, discourage such practices. I'll have to see how I can integrate that into my E.A.S.Y. plan, I guess!!

Has anyone read this book or tried the E.A.S.Y. method? I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts and experiences!

3 comments:

  1. I've never read the book, but that's the routine that Nate and I got into. He seems to like it. As soon as he wakes up I nurse him, then we play, then he naps eventually.

    I wear Nate all the time. He loves it. I'm curious to hear why the other books discourage it. Perhaps they think it spoils them or makes them more needy? Looking forward to your review!

    I never really read any parenting books, except Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child (which we are following for sleep training) and the What to Expect books. I need to find a good book on feeding a baby solid foods, b/c I have no idea what I'm doing with that. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book with both girls. It worked with Anna, not so much with Adele. Either way (fussy baby or not) It's great to read it ahead of time and have a general idea of what to do when the baby comes home.

    I highly recommend this theory over one of its major competitors: Babywise. They both have the same principles, but Babywise is all about the clock. However, I have a friend who swears by it, and says that all 4 of her kids slept through the night at 6 weeks of age thanks to Babywise...



    Good luck!

    Another great book recommendation would be The Happiest Baby on the Block by Harvey Karp (that one DID work for Adele!)

    -Karen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happiest Baby on the Block is awesome! That's the 5 'S' method right? If you don't have time to read another book, there is a movie you can rent from netflix (same title as the book), it's only about 45 minutes. :-)

    ReplyDelete