Tuesday, May 25, 2010
End of the Year Thoughts
Today was our last day of school with the kids. It's always a bittersweet time. It's happy because as a teacher, it's satisfying to know that you did everything you could to prepare your students for the challenges that lie ahead. It's nice to hear from them and their parents about things they remember about you and your lessons, which make you feel like you've made an impact. Also, let's not forget that at the close of the school year, the kids are CRAZY (as are the teachers), and both parties feel relief at the thought of getting time off.
Then there are the sad bits. Knowing that you will not see them next year. NOT knowing how your future class will behave/interact with one another. Fearing that the classroom community that you spent so long building this year will take a while to build anew next year. Losing the familiarity that you have with your students, and that they have with you. Not being able to see them succeed in their future endeavors.
So, yes, I'm thrilled that school is over. Relieved at not having to grade papers for two-and-a-half months. Excited that I don't have to wake up at 5am each weekday morning. Anxious to read some "big people" books. Delighted that I don't have to attend another case conference or data meeting until September. Ecstatic that I will have time to spend with my friends and family. However, I will also miss my kiddos, whose accomplishments, big and small, made all those hassles A LOT more tolerable.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So true.
ReplyDeleteExcept that I am still at the "desperately trying to survive until the end of the year stage" so at the moment I just want summer.
But when I get there it is always a little bittersweet.
Bitter-sweet is how I described the end of my year too! Our last day was just yesterday, and it hasn't kicked in yet. I feel like it is just another weekend....next week it will hit me!
ReplyDelete