Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day

Well, I wish I had some pictures to share of my first official Mother's Day, but I was too busy spending time with my little guy! We spent the weekend in Cincinnati, where my in-laws hosted a family get together. My parents and brother came, too. 

Kevin and Ethan got me these...


But that's not really what Mother's Day is about.

Last year, I was pregnant with Ethan, and had no idea just how much he would change my life. He has turned my world upside down, but in the best possible way. As hard as motherhood gets, and trust me, it is one of the most challenging things I've ever done, it is still the best thing that has ever happened to me. I know how fortunate I am to have the opportunity to have a healthy, happy, beautiful little boy. On Ethan's best days, I am awed by the little person he is becoming. On Ethan's worst days, I am awed by the little person he is becoming. 

In the six-plus months since becoming a mom, I've learned so, so much. I've learned...

...it's more than fine to ask for {and accept} help.
...sometimes, you baby just has to cry-it-out.
...you don't have to have all the answers all the time.
...books and "experts" don't know your baby best...you do.
...rely on your instincts, even if you don't feel you have any.
...it's OK to admit you have no idea what you're doing.
...it's OK to admit you're wrong.
...nothing you do will "break" your baby.
...you can never hold your baby too much.
...you don't have to listen to anybody's everybody's opinion.
...watching your baby develop new skills will be bittersweet.
...time will always go by too quickly.
...your baby is perfect, just the way he or she is.

2 comments:

  1. It's been so awesome watching your little man grow and watching you become a mom-- even if it is from far away and I have to do most of it on the internet. :-) (that sounded creepy). I'm so proud of all you have accomplished! Happy mothers day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise words. You are such an awesome mom! :-)

    ReplyDelete