Friday, December 25, 2009
Christmas in Barbados
So...I've missed a few days, mostly because I keep forgetting my camera when it's time to blog. I have decided to blog without the camera, because I forgot it again, and also because it's a pain in the butt to post pictures onto the blog (i.e. I don't know how to do it correctly). I will post the pics on FB, so be on the lookout. Here is what Kevin and I have been up to in the last few days.
On Wednesday, Kevin and I ventured into the island of Barbados armed with a camera, a taxi driver named David, and a plan. David took us on a tour up the west coast of the island, where he pointed out lots of neato things (like big, expensive hotels, tourist hot spots, etc.). We made a stop at the northernmost point in Barbados, the Animal Flower Cave. It was super cool because the ocean flows right in. You can actually go cliff diving there, or so our tour guide said. We took his word for it.
Next, we were off to the Barbados Wildlife Reserve. Kevin was all I about it. I was quite nervous...especially when we got to the bird part. Did I mention that the animals were just roaming free, out in the open, with the humans? No? Oh, well they were. All in all, cool experience, although Kevin had it with me and my paranoia.
Then, we went to the Chalky Mount Pottery. We watched a man create a vase from the clay that he created from the mountain. After that, we were pooped, so we went back to the hotel. Again, David pointed out many different sights, and taught us a whole lot about the island's main export, sugar cane, which if you didn't know, begins to be harvested on February 15th. The rest of the day was spent on the beach. However, we did go to an authentic island-style BBQ on the beach, where we ate entirely too much.
On to Thursday. We planned to go on this fantastic jeep tour of the island. Key word: planned. We did go, however, we ended up having to leave halfway through, due to my motion sickness. You see, the seats in the Land Rover face sideways, and I guess my stomach just didn't agree with that. I made it 2.5 hours, but then I had to throw in the towel before the off-roading began. It just would not have turned out well for me. Poor Kevin missed out though, on account of my loseriness. Again, the rest of the day was spent on the beach. At night, we went out for Christmas Eve dinner at a restaurant right by the Hilton called "Brown Sugar". It was SOOOOO good!! Best thing we ate on the island. I think we're planning to go back tomorrow night.
Today, we decided to spend the ENTIRE day on the beach. Kevin got a really nice tan. I got a really nice burn. It's OK, though, I am convinced it will all turn into a nice even tan....let's hope! There was a very festive Christmas Day parade at 3pm, so that was enjoyable.
Tomorrow we are going on a 5 hour Catamaran boating trip, where we will get to swim with turtles, snorkel, and eat a delicious lunch. I'll post again tomorrow, which will be our last official day in Barbados. Merry Christmas to all today, and a Happy Birthday to my mom-in-law, Marsha! :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment