Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, May 3, 2009

My Mini Experience

It's the day after the mini, and I am feeling both accomplished and sore. First of all, I'm just happy that I finished it, and didn't die. My training was falling by the wayside with all the other things I have on my plate this year, so my confidence was definitely fading. I ended up running about 8.5 miles of it (nonconsecutive, of course), and walked the rest intermittently. Pretty good for my first try, seeing as how the farthest I'd run during training was 6 miles. I did learn some things along the way, thanks to the other 34,999 runners and the numerous people holding signs along the way.
  1. I learned from a sign that someone was holding up, that running 13.1 miles burns 1272 calories. Not bad for a days work.
  2. For the last 3 miles, you are in an EXTREME amount of discomfort. I'm talking chapped hands, shooting pains in muscles, etc.
  3. Thank goodness for port-o-potties!! I definitely got out of my corral before I crossed the starting line to use one...stupid nerves!
  4. Make sure to look down as you run. You never know what you'll step on. One guy took a spill around mile 1.5 because he didn't see the crack in the road in front of him.
  5. Gatorade puts a bad taste in your mouth. It also causes a sticky surface to run on for 50 feet after the Gatorade distribution tables.
  6. You know "that guy" who buys a t-shirt at a concert, and then wears it at the concert where he bought it? Well, the same rule applies to the mini (and all other runs). Don't be that guy who wears the marathon shirt to the marathon in which you are running!
  7. The Motor Speedway's track is REALLY long.
  8. Thank goodness for all of the entertainment along the way. It was so nice to hear people motivating you and to watch and listen to all the acts, which helped take your mind off of the pain.
  9. Old people are fast! I know there were many who kicked my butt!
  10. ANYONE can do the mini...and I mean ANYONE!!
I finished with a time of 2 hours, 57 minutes, and 51 seconds. Not bad for a first timer. I will most definitely be running this again next year, and I will beat my time, even if only by seconds. This has made me realize how capable I am of accomplishing my goals.

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Anat! David and I are thinking of running next year. :)

    ReplyDelete