Pages

 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Oh Pumpkin, Where Art Thou??

As the weather begins to cool and become more "fall-like", I begin to change some things around the house. For example, I flipped the thermostat from the "Cool" setting to the "Heat" setting. I am highly contemplating swapping my summer tanks and tees for my winter sweaters and turtlenecks. Another thing that I switch out are my recipes. I put away my light summer recipes and get out my yummy crock pot and casserole recipes.

One of my favorite fall ingredients is canned pumpkin. It can be incorporated into all sorts of different recipes. Pumpkin gives more flavor and "oomph" to food without pumping up the calories. Two of the most delicious pumpkin-filled things I've made are pumpkin chip cookies (except I substitute dried cranberries for walnuts) and this DELICIOUS Hungry Girl oatmeal recipe

I plan to make the oatmeal this weekend, but I've looked in a couple grocery stores and can't find canned pumpkin!! It still may be too early for it to officially be pumpkin season, but it got so cold so fast, that it feels like it should be! My next attempt to hit the "pumpkin jackpot" will be Whole Foods (they usually have EVERYTHING), but if I don't find it there, I'm not sure where to look! I'm open for suggestions, though!

1 comment:

  1. We always buy at least one pumpkin every fall to cook with. I clean it, slice the pumpkin in half and then I cook it in the microwave. Then when it's cooked I scoop out the innards and put it in the blender. I blend it until it's a nice puree. Then I measure it out into 2 cup portions (most of my pumpkin recipes call for 2 cups of pumpkin), put in tupperware, and stick it in the freezer. Depending on the size of the pumpkin we usually get 4-5 helpings to enjoy all winter and spring.

    ReplyDelete